People have been editing photos since photography was invented. Before the invention of computers, our ancestors had to edit images by hand. Some editing was done by pasting photos together. Since then editing photos developed so much that now all professional photographers edit their work. So, there is nothing wrong in editing photos because when used well, it can really help to bring some edge contrast back to a photo. In fact, editing a photo is actually a part of being a photographer. Most photographers outsource this part of their job to professional photo editors who add all the needed effects to photos in the quickest time possible and at a reasonable price. Besides, it saves so much time for photographers. So let’s analyze the reasons why photo editing has become so demanding and so important.
- Our brains process images faster than text. So, you can improve the user experience by editing your photos. Photo editing is another way to tell your story, or get across what you were trying to capture when you took the photo. What you capture in the camera sometimes does not precisely reflect the moment. Firstly, because we might not get our settings quite right in camera, but also because you can enhance a mood or a general feeling in processing that you will never really be able to fully capture in camera.
- It can evoke an emotion. Somebody looking at your photos can go on a journey with you. In the ideal world, people buy things based on weeks of research and weighing all the pros and cons of a purchase. In reality, our purchases are driven mainly by emotions. A number of studies proved that visual imagery with faces that express happiness stimulates the behavioral approach system. It is a system that regulates our drive to go towards something we desire. It means that showing pictures in which people emote on your websites makes visitors more likely to do what you expect them to do.
- Raw photos may not really reflect what was being meant when the photo was taken. In fact, sometimes raw photos may tell a false message. Therefore, it is necessary to enhance your photos to add the truth to the photo. If for example, you wanted to capture the moment of nature after rain to show the freshness, the purity of air and a welcome atmosphere, however, the outcome of the photo you have taken actually leaves a feeling that the nature looks gloomy and unclear. Therefore, it is highly recommended to add some more effects to raw photos in order to show the real feeling of the moment.
- Most people think that editing photos is a waste of time since it takes so much time and it is such a tiring job. However, this belief is already a history. There are so many free apps that can edit photos very quickly, like Lightroom CC. Besides, almost all cameras offer ready filters so the photos you are trying to capture are already edited. There is no after work. If you need a professional service to edit a number of photos, then there are very affordable outsourcing services available on the web like Bulkediting.com.
- Photo editing is all about creativity. Creativity is one of the most un-measurable aspects of art. You can become an artist of your photos, besides the procedure can be so entertaining. It is about trying new things, challenging oneself and not being complacent. In order to grow and evolve as a photographer, you need to experiment with new subjects and new applications. It might mean trying new techniques or working on a new way to edit.
Ultimately, all photographers have different workflows and editing processes, everyone puts their own spin onto something. You can take pictures using a good digital point and shoot or SLR camera and get good quality photos, but if you want to turn the image into an art form or tweak it enough to make it a completely new image, then you need to edit your photos.